Current word count: 26,744 / 50,000 words.
Today’s soundtrack: a mix of 1990s alternative rock, Australian rock, and 2010s folk metal.
Step one: write lengthy day 23 journal. So lengthy you end up not working on your NaNoWriMo story.
Step two: lose the unsaved file in which you wrote the journal. Rookie mistake.
In short, my NaNoWriMo isn’t going great. Not terrible, but not great. I am not meeting the basic minimum average word count. I’ve only just passed the halfway mark with barely a week left. The story itself is okay. It isn’t the blindingly brilliant work of genius I hoped for, but it has a lot of potential (I think). For now, my focus is on trying to complete the word count while juggling real life commitments: including, but not limited to, caring for my children and my cats, cleaning the house for an imminent house inspection, trying to actually maintain some semblance of a social life, and try to keep the household running while The Husband works interstate all week.
Things that are good this week (because stuff has been tough, I’m focussing too much on the negatives and draining my creative resources ruminating on stuff):
- I’m successfully taking a facebook break instead of compulsively refreshing it. It’s not as if I don’t already know all my friends’ and family’s political views by now.
- Despite not writing as much quantity as I wanted, I have written a tiny bit every single day of NaNoWriMo this year. The daily discipline is happening, even if the desired word counts aren’t.
- I actually like my story. More specifically, I like my characters. I want to write their stories, even if my nano draft is morphing more into a mash of notes and rambling descriptive passages instead of being a good story.
- The Husband will hopefully get back from his work trip in the next day or so, so I won’t have to keep trying to juggle everything on my own.
- I was able to pledge some money to the Stand Still Stay Silent Book 2 Kickstarter. I might not have a lot of spare money but I try to support art when I can. It’s the second crowd funded project I’ve contributed to this year (the other being the Wintersun album The Forest Seasons).
- Despite being snowed under by other commitments, I have still managed to set aside time to read books!
That will do for now! I would’ve loved to write more but honestly, keeping this journal has to take lesser priority than actually treading the water of my life at the moment!
Today’s listening has included…